Monday, October 7, 2013

Farewell for now...

You probably read the post title and wondered if I was shutting down the business, moving, traveling, or maybe even something worse like going on an internet fast (ok, seriously, as much as I neglect to update my blog that wouldn't be hard to let go of)!  No, no worries, I'm not going anywhere.  But if you've poked around on my page you may have noticed I took down my wedding packages. 

For now I'm saying farewell to weddings.  Since I became pregnant with my 2nd child (which was spring '11) I've had this nagging, feeling, calling, yearning, tugging to put my family first.  This business is also a 'baby' I conceived, nurtured and grew...and I want it to continue growing...but at what expense?  Back in January I felt a very strong calling to be the woman God created me to be.  A helper for my husband and care taker for my children.  Trust me, this has not been easy decision, kinda like 'put in your place,' reality hit me up side the head kinda realization. 

Weddings require so much time from a photographer. Photographers work to meet the bride and groom weeks before their big day to plan almost every picture they are going to take.  I attend the rehearsals to know what's going to happen the following day.  Then I spend about three times the amount editing as I did shooting pictures of that day.  There are photographers who include albums in their packages...that would be even more time!  Don't get me wrong, weddings are a lot of time, but they are also a lot of money.  If I did one wedding a month I wouldn't have to shoot portrait sessions.

Portrait sessions.  I've realized that's where my heart lies.  I love families interacting and capture children at all phases of life.  With weddings, it would be time for me to take the next step and continue with education and to grow professionally just like everyone in other professions.  I just don't have the time for it. Or the desire.  My heart is with my husband and kids and making memories for your families (at least until they are married...haha!) 

But sometimes there can be that opportunity that's too good to pass up.  That said, I will be very selective with weddings.  I don't shoot with flash or lights, I'm a naturalist.  So I would only consider weddings that have outdoor pictures.  Along with that I would only consider churches or other places for the ceremony with the most natural light possible.  Natural light is my comfort zone. 

So if you're looking for an Amanda-approved wedding photographer, please check out my fellow friends!  Oh...and I'll be anyone's assistant...just sayin'!

Lisa Hammond Photography
Dwayne Lloyd Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment